It might be shocking to consider this but here are the facts according to the World Health Organisation:
- Worldwide obesity has nearly doubled since 1980.
- In 2008, more than 1.4 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight. Of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.
- 35% of adults aged 20 and over were overweight in 2008, and 11% were obese.
- 65% of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- More than 40 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2011.
- Obesity is preventable.
In fact the Health Survey for England states that 28% of 2 to 15 year old are over weight!
So what can we do?
Well as parents it is down to us all to sort out our own children. The last time I looked most children aren’t cooking for themselves however exercise and diet go hand in hand. However for many the exercise part is the issue. With the growth of video game entertainment most children sit glued to a computer console rather than out side.
Martial Arts training for Children and adults offers a great way to combine video game action and physical activity for people.
The simple fact is that Martial arts is a great way to burn calories and get fit and according to the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. Just one hour of Karate burns the following calories:
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 590 calories burned karate per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 704 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 817 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 931 calories burned per hour
Now that is only the data for Karate but most martial arts burn a lot of calories and have very similar results. So if you are looking for a great way for yourself or your child to keep in shape then simply google “martial arts classes” in your area and sign up for one today.
By Andrew Holland